Image: Sergey Kharlamov
“A good traveler is one who knows how to travel with the mind.”
Michael Bassey Johnson
I have wanted to write about Astral Projection for a while now but I kept getting sidetracked with other post ideas. I think that the time is right for me to finally discuss the topic because the last week or so I have been getting question after question about Projecting and how it is done.
First let us define what Astral projection is: “Astral Projection (or Astral Travel) is an interpretation of out-of-body experience (OBE) that assumes the existence of an “astral body” separate from the physical body and capable of travelling outside it. Astral Projection or travel denotes the astral body leaving the physical body to travel in an Astral Plane. The idea of astral travel is rooted in common worldwide religious accounts of the afterlife in which the consciousness or soul’s journey or “ascent” is described in such terms as “an out-of body experience, wherein the spiritual traveler leaves the physical body and travels in his/her subtle body (or dream-body or astral body) into ‘higher’ realms.” It is frequently reported in association with dreams, and forms of meditation.”
“Patients have reported feelings similar to the descriptions of Astral Projection induced through various hallucinogenic and hypnotic (including self-hypnotic) means. There is no scientific evidence that there is any measurable manifestation of a consciousness or soul which is separate from neural activity, and there is no scientific evidence for the contention that one can consciously leave the body and make observations. Attempts to verify that such has occurred have consistently failed in spite of the variety of pseudoscientific claims to the contrary”. (Wikipedia)
Science or no Science, I have been traveling to the Astral Plane since I was a child but it took me until my mid-twenties to really get a hold on how to travel safely, how to remember my travels, and how not to bring anything back with me; among other things.
I think it is really important to keep a sleep/dream journal and I believe that a healthy sleep schedule is necessary for a successful Astral trip. You may use an Herbal Smoke Blend like the one in my Shop or you can purchase flying ointments from Sarah Anne Lawless; I highly, highly recommend all of her products. I have Belladonna, Mandrake, Datura, and Henbane Flying Ointments from her shop. If you are interested, click here.
I have found a really good article from The Mind Unleashed, and I will use that for my Source and reference point in this piece.
I have recently discovered that I can Astral Project while in an awakened state, not just during sleep or meditation. This is something that takes practice, determination and lots of concentration. This new found gift allows me to heal long distance because I am projecting a piece of myself to another; allowing them to work with my energy as if I were there with them.
Most people will start out experiencing sleep paralysis, followed by Lucid Dreaming and then work their way up to Astral Projection, though everyone is different and for some this talent may come more easily than others. I have always been able to Project, but I have struggled with sleep because of it. I find myself often waking up with hangovers the next morning because during my “sleeping” hours, I was really traveling.
Sleep has never come easy for me, and for a long time I thought that the vision or scenario playing out in my head before falling asleep was a metaphor for something I was feeling, or something I had to let go of. This “vision” has been happening for years but over the last nine months I have finally started to put the pieces together.
It starts out the same; I am being dragged from Earth up through the clouds, then the atmosphere, and finally I end up in space. I float among the stars for a while, then I am suddenly shot out into oblivion as if I were a pebble in the Universe’s proverbial sling shot.
I can stop the projection from happening only if I envision my feet being anchored to Earth but it has to be the perfect timing or I will be dragged away no matter what my will may be. I still have yet to figure out who or what it is that’s pulling me but every time I try to figure it out I am being told, and I see in my mind’s eye that it’s multiple entities; all of whom feel like Kin.
I believe our Astral Travels are as individualized as our path’s and I don’t think that we all experience the Astral Plane in the same manner. Just like our Magick, we should never compare our travels or our skill level when it comes to Astral because there simply is no comparison.
Let’s move on to different methods of how to achieve Astral Projection. I am just going to give the methods themselves, if you wish to read more in-depth about each I will give you the link at the bottom to the full article.
I hope this helps those who seem to be stuck, I believe that much of my personal truth has been found while traveling, and visiting the Akashic records.
Here are methods to become a seasoned traveler:
- The Rope Technique: This technique has been formulated by Robert Bruce and is one of the most effective techniques around. A key ingredient to this projection technique is an invisible, imaginary ROPE hanging from your ceiling. This ROPE will be used to exert dynamic pressure at a single point on your astral body to force its separation from the physical.
- Watch yourself going to sleep: Lie down comfortably on your back, facing the ceiling. Relax your body and clear your mind of unwanted thoughts. Relax even more. Tell yourself that you are going to watch yourself in the act of going to sleep. You must be very clear about your intent. You’re going to let your body sleep while your mind will remain alert throughout the entire process. Tell yourself you will retain consciousness even while your body is going to be in complete “trance”.
- The Monroe Technique: Dr Robert Monroe, one of the foremost authorities on Astral Projection devised this method. You have to first relax your body. This is a very important step. Then try to go to sleep, but don’t fall asleep. Maintain your awareness between sleep and wakefulness. This is known as the hypnagogic state. Then deepen this hypnagogic state and start to clear your mind of unwanted thoughts. Simply look through your closed eyelids at the blackness in front of you.
- OBE From lucid dreams: Lucid dreams are dreams in which the dreamer is aware that he is dreaming. In a Lucid Dream a person is already “out” of his body. In order to achieve Astral Projection from Lucid Dreams, you have to first become obsessed with OBEs and you must really DESIRE it. You must read everything you can about it. You must think about it every free moment that you have.
- Displaced-awareness technique: Close your eyes and get into your usual trance-state. Try to sense the entire room, at once. Feel yourself just above your shoulders and seeing all around. Be very passive about what is going on. Then imagine that your Astral Body is slowly rotating by 180 degrees. Once you finish your mental rotation, your astral head should be where your physical feet are, and your astral feet would be where your physical head is! With this firmly in your mind, try visualizing the room from this new direction.
- The Jump Technique: The Jump Technique, when done well, can wake up anyone in their dreams and make them Lucid. However, it does need to be done well. This is how the technique works: We repeatedly need to ask ourselves during the day whether we are in a dream or not. It is important that we do this not just for the sake of asking ourselves the question, but because we really want to know where we are. We should really doubt that we are in the Physical. So in order to prove where we are, we jump as if we were going to fly. If we are in the Physical, we will land back on the ground. But during a dream, when we jump, we will defy gravity and float.
- Muldoon’s Thirst Technique: This is not one of the most pleasant or effective methods designed by Sylvan Muldoon. In order to use this technique, you must refrain from drinking for some hours before going to bed. Throughout the day increase your thirst by every means you can. Keep a glass of water in front of you and stare into it, imagining drinking, but not allowing yourself to do so! Then before you sleep, eat a pinch or two of salt. Place the glass of water at some convenient place away from your bed and rehearse in your mind all the actions necessary to getting it: getting up, crossing the room, reaching out for the glass, and so on. You must then go to bed, still thinking about your thirst and the means of quenching it. At night, you might awaken in your dream and you will find yourself walking towards the glass of water. With any luck the suggestions you have made to yourself will bring about the desired OBE.
- The Stretch Out Technique: Lie down, shut your eyes and relax your body. Imagine your feet stretching out and becoming longer by just an inch or so. Once you have this picture in your mind, let your feet go back to normal. Do the same with his head, stretching it out an inch beyond its normal position. Then, get it back to normal. Then alternate all between head and feet, gradually increasing the distance until you can stretch out both your feet and head to about two feet or more. At this stage imagine stretching out both at once. This exercise will make you feel dizzy and often start the vibrations. After some practice, you will experience floating sensations and you can then tell yourself to rise up towards the ceiling. You are out!
- The Hammock Technique: Visualize yourself lying in a bright white hammock, stationed between two palm trees on a secluded beach. Imagine the feeling of swaying in the wind, and recreate that feeling now as you visualize yourself swaying from side to side in the hammock. Repeat this visualization for as long as it takes to bring forth the vibrations, and when you feel the vibrations, just “roll-out” of your body.
- Do the relaxing thing. Get to where you can’t feel your body. Repeat this saying in your head, and focus on it as much as possible. Don’t get discouraged! Say it slow if you have to…
“I am going to have an out of body experience.
I am going to let myself go to sleep, but I am going
to bring this waking consciousness with me wherever
I go. I am going to leave my body with full awareness.”
Keep saying the phrase even when you feel tired and you feel like rolling over….
Roll over if you have to in order to stay comfortable, and keep doing it. If you feel any tingles or see any lights that seem to flash, don’t let them throw you off. They are perfectly natural. If when you’re tired you struggle to remember the words, just recite something shorter like ‘Mind awake, body asleep’, and do it until you lose consciousness.
If you would like to read more about each of the techniques, here is the link I promised you, and the Source for this piece: